The Law

The Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) was passed in 2009. This law is often referred to as the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) or State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). 


If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you’re eligible for health coverage from your employer, your state may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage (your employee contributions), using funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs. If you or your children aren’t eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you won’t be eligible for these premium assistance programs, but you may be able to buy individual insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. For more information, visit

Scenarios to Consider

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP and you live in a state listed below, you can contact your state Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, you can contact your state Medicaid or CHIP office or dial 1-877-KIDS NOW, or visit to find out how to apply. If you qualify, you can ask the state if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan.

If you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as eligible under your employer plan, your employer must allow you to enroll in your employer plan if you aren’t already enrolled. This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, contact the Department of Labor at or call 1-866-444-EBSA (3272).


To see if any more states have added a premium assistance program since January 1, 2015, or for more information on special enrollment rights, you can contact either:

U.S. Department of Labor

Employee Benefits Security Administration

1-866-444-EBSA (3272)

U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

1-877-267-2323, Menu Option 4, Ext. 61565